With the weather starting to cool down, there’s nothing better than tucking in to a hearty homestyle meal. A big nourishing bowl of hot soup, a warming curry or a comforting casserole. Yum, yum and yum!
When it’s cold and raining outside, one of the best things is rugging up in a big cosy jumper, chucking on some trackies and digging into a heart-warming dish. It’s even better when it’s healthy, easy to make, requires minimal ingredients and can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And that is exactly what my delicious homestyle Spanish beans is all about.
This recipe is comfort food at its best. It would have to be one of the cheapest, easiest but also tastiest recipes ever! These beans are so delicious and so versatile. You can eat them on their own, serve on top of some crispy bread, eat it as breakfast or serve it as part of a salad.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 2 cans of kidney beans (drained)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 brown onion
- 2tsp garlic (or one garlic glove crushed)
- 1Tbl olive oil
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2tsp cumin
- 1tsp Cajun seasoning (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat
- Add the finely diced onion, garlic, chili flakes and cumin to the pan and sauté until the onion is tender.
- Next add the kidney beans to the pan and cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and lower the heat of the stove. Stir occasionally, letting it reduce and thicken. Add the cajun seasoning at this point, if you are using it.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce is thicken and heated through it is ready to serve. Enjoy the beans on their own or you can try now of the serving suggestions below.
- With brown rice or quinoa
- Vegetarian burrito or wrap
- Naked Burrito bowl (as pictured below)
- Spanish Beans and Poached eggs
- On toast with some fresh avocado and feta
- Alongside a big breakfast
- Make it non-vego by adding in some chorizo or bacon
My personal favourite way to enjoy this recipe is by assembling a naked burrito bowl with lettuce, tomato, brown rice and homemade guacamole. Yum! With a great balance of protein, carbs and healthy fats, it makes a delicious lunch or dinner. Plus its the perfect meal to share with friends.
Love Eloise xx