One of the best things about winter is snuggling up with a warm bowl of soup. My home kitchen has been pumping out the Pumpkin Soup this season and I thought I’d share my recipe. It’s fast, super simple and cheap. Of course, it goes with out saying, it’s also highly nutritious and tastes amazing.
Easy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
serves – 4
prep – 10 mins
cooking – 10-15 mins
800 grams Japanese Pumpkin, cubed
1 large brown onion, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon organic butter (or substitute with olive oil)
500mls of vegetable stock
500mls of boiling water
pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.
2. Almost immediately, add onion and garlic to the butter. Stir occasionally until onion and garlic become soft, transparent and aromatic.
3. Add pumpkin to the pot and pour in the vegetable stock and water. Be sure to cover all the pumpkin in the liquid.
4. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Cook until pumpkin becomes soft and mushy.
5. Remove from heat. Using a hand blender, blend all the ingredients together until completely smooth.
7. Add pepper to taste and serve hot.
Some variations I love are:
- pumpkin and carrot
- pumpkin and sweet potato
- pumpkin, cauliflower and broccoli
- cumin for extra spice and warmth
- curry powder for flavour
- milk (just before serving) for creaminess
This is the basic recipe that I use when cooking all my smooth soups. No matter how much I play around with quantities, or mix and match ingredients, it is impossible to stuff up.
Time to snuggle up with a big bowl of pumpkin soup!
Love Jess x