With Easter just around the corner, temptation – in the form of chocolate bunnies and oversized easter eggs – are everywhere! Everywhere dammit! It can be a challenging time for us ex-chocoholics (yes, I feel I have overcome my chocolate addiction enough to call myself an ex-chocoholic but I am aware that it is entirely possible that I could have a detrimental lapse at any moment).
FEAR NOT! There is a solution.
If you are anything like me and still feel the need to get a chocolate fix every now and then (especially while everyone else is munching on bunny ears all long weekend), you can!! BUT without having to reach for the ‘high-fat, high-sugar, processed and full of artifical additives’ crap gawking at you from the supermarket shelves.
It might be the Easter holiday, but that doesn’t mean your healthy diet and lifestyle is on holiday too. So just for you, you lucky little things, here are my favourite guilt-free chocolate recipes that you can safely indulge in this Easter (or whenever the chocolate craving hits).
All these One Active Life approved recipes are free from refined sugar, dairy, gluten and most importantly guilt!
CHOCOLATE FUDGEY BITES
(raw, vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free)
1/2C melted (good-quality) coconut oil
1/2C almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
2T cacao powder
1/4C rice malt syrup
1/2t vanilla essence
In a bowl, mix melted coconut oil and rice malt syrup together.
- Add cacao powder and mix until combined.
- Next stir in the nut butter and vanilla essence until mixture thickens.
- Spoon chocolate mixture into moulds (for easter you could use bunny shapes – I just didn’t have any).
- Put in the freezer for at least 20 minutes or until set.
- Store in freezer as mixture will soften and melt easily.
- HINT: Add in chopped nuts, berries, chia seeds, coconut or anything else you wish to make them a little more interesting. I love adding macadamias. YUM!
RAW CHOCOLATE BROWNIE SLICE*
(raw, vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free)
1C raw almonds
1C raw cashews
10-12 medjool dates
1/4C shredded or desiccated coconut
1-2T cacao powder
1T rice malt syrup
3T coconut oil
Line a biscuit or lamington tray with baking paper
- Grind nuts in food processor until breadcrumb consistency. Remove and set aside.
- Blend dates, oil, rice malt syrup, cacao powder and coconut together until shiny in appearance.
- Return nut meal to food processor and combine all ingredients together
- Empty mixture into prepared tin and press down. Refrigerate until solid then cut into squares
- Keep Refrigerated. Enjoy!
Although these are much healthier versions your favourite chocolately Easter treats, remember they are called ‘treats’ for a reason. These oh so delicious recipes do contain a whole lot of goodness and stacks of healthy ingredients, but they are still quite high in calories. So don’t be going on a crazy ‘but it’s good for me’ binge and over-indulge. Consume in moderation – if you can.
Love Elo xx
*not my own recipe – it was given to me by a friend a year or so ago. Still one of my fav recipes though