Let’s be frank, it’s not always sunshine, rainbows and unicorns when it comes to staying on track with a health and fitness journey. Remaining 100% dedicated isn’t easy. Life is always throwing us curveballs (like a crippling back injury) and waving temptations in our face, usually in the form of a deliciously rich slice of indulgent chocolate cake or chocolate anything really (mmmm chocolate), so it’s important we remind ourselves why we want to live a healthy lifestyle.
Finding the drive to push through life’s little challenges and temptations requires will power and of course a truck-load of motivation. Sure, being fit, healthy and sexy is always great motivation but sometimes when there’s a bottle of wine staring us in the face saying ‘drink me, I’m delicious’ we can forget how much we want to look good naked because the allure of fermented grapes in a glass is just too strong.
When I find myself in these situations I give myself a big ass dose of ‘reality-check’ with a few motivational thoughts. Whether it is when making food choices or having to get my lazy ass off to the gym, I have a few secret weapons locked away that ALWAYS fill me with motivation and remind me why I should make healthy choices. They without a doubt, always get my head back in order and thinking the right way.
Here’s some of the little thoughts and quotes that keep me motivated:
– Feeling comfortable to wear anything! Knowing that I can go into my wardrobe, pick anything out and rock it with confidence. Rather than having to wear my ‘fat day’ clothes. (Don’t laugh! I know you have fat day clothes too)
– Imagining running into an ex or a frenemy and not freaking out that I looked terrible, but leaving feeling like they really noticed how fit and happy I’m looking.
– ‘Never give up what you want most for what you want now’ – remembering what is more important to me. Short term satisfaction (eg an unhealthy treat/extra time in bed) or getting a step closer to my goals.
– That amazing feeling you have after a great workout! ‘The only workout you’ll ever regret is the one you didn’t do.’
– Being able to say ‘yes, I’d love to’ when someone asks me to come to the beach, rather than having an anxiety attack over the idea of having to put a bikini on and show my self to the world.
– Feeling happy with what I see in the mirror. Rather than wanting to burst into tears every time I get a glimpse of my reflection.
– Looking good naked. Because maybe someone other than me will get to see me in my birthday suit one day :p
Next time you are feeling like giving up or giving in, refer back to this list. Depending on your goals, these may not all work for you, but hey, at least give it a crack.
I’d love to know what you guys use to motivate you. Feel free to leave a comment.
Love Elo xx